Thursday, December 27, 2012

welcome to SoCal?

The scene: our local Home Depot, in the kitchen section. The hubs and I are excitedly discussing countertop options in an insufferably yuppie/wannabe-hipster fashion, e.g. "They make recycled eco-friendly options?! Awesome!!" or "I really do prefer the look of granite..." A Random Home Depot Dude (henceforth referred to as RHDD), a petite metro-looking young male, approaches.

RHDD: Excuse me, are you interested in remodeling?

Me: Oh, maybe eventually, but we're just looking around.

RHDD: Do you own a home?

Me: [thinking that these are intrusive questions and hoping he will just get to the point] Not yet, but hopefully soon!

RHDD: Do you know who I am?

Me: ... [should I?]

RHDD: I'm the guy from the Home Depot commercials.

Me: ... Well, we just moved down here so if they air locally, we wouldn't have seen them.

RHDD: No, they're national...

Me: ... [awkward pause]

RHDD: Well, it's okay, I'm not that much of a celebrity. Anyway, you just missed out because I'm giving away free designer packages for remodeling.

Me: ... uh, okay. ["that much"?? who are you??!]

RHDD: Alrighty, you folks have a nice evening.

The RHDD strolls away, ready to accost another innocently browsing customer, and I am left to wonder... even Home Depot employees in SoCal are aspiring actors???

No comments: